Imagine a world with four major leagues - encompassing 32 teams across the United States, Canada and the Caribbean. Imagine it's been that way since 1935, with real-life big-league players alongside those who never got to play. Well, imagine no more. Welcome to Baseball 35.

July 13, 2012

October 6, 1935 - Root finds redemption in Montreal


OAKLAND - You can forgive Charlie Root for thinking the worst.

The ten-year big leaguer had found himself on the margins in Chicago, despite a stirling career with the Cubs that saw him compile a 145-111 record with the club, including a 26-15 record in 1927. Sure, Root went 4-7 last season, but back-to-back 15-10 records the two years before (including the Cubs' pennant-winning 1932 season) proved that Root was an effective pitcher in the not-too-distance past.

Root
However, by early June Root had appeared in just seven games for the Cubs and started a mere two. Despite the fact that he was 1-0 with a 2.33 ERA and nine strikeouts in 19.1 innings, Root didn't appear to figure in manager Charlie Grimm's plans. Then, on June 5, came the news. Root had been traded - not just out of the league, but out of the country, to the Montreal Royals of the International League.

"That was a big blow," Root said in an interview before Game 5 of the Continental Series. "Obviously, I still thought I could contribute to the Cubs. And they've had a good season; they're playing in the World's Series right now. But I'm pretty pleased with how things turned out."

Pleased would be an understatement. After the trade, Root started in 19 games for the Royals, compiling a 12-4 record with 30 strikeouts and a 2.52 ERA. Had Root been with the Royals all season, he would be among the team and league leaders in ERA and wins at that pace. The Middletown, Ohio native isn't bitter or regretful, though. Instead, he's happy for the second chance.

"The way things had gone with the Cubs for the past two seasons, I won't lie. I had thought seriously about packing it in. However, my time in Montreal has gotten me thinking that there's still some life in this ol' right arm yet.

"I can't wait for next season, and the chance to have a full season in the International League to show what I can do. I mean, I'm only 36. Cy Young pitched until he was what, 45?"

He won't match the Cyclone's 511 wins, but with this career resurgence, who knows what Charlie Root still has ahead of him? A Continental Series title, perhaps?

"Obviously, I'd love to win it. Not just for myself, but the team that wanted me and gave me a chance. But we still have our work cut out for us. No team has ever come back from three games down to win a seven-game series. The way this season has gone, though, I would never rule anything out anymore."

And how about the Cubs? Does Root wish them well?

"I have no ill will toward the Cubs," he explained. "That doesn't mean I don't want to beat them if I ever get to pitch against them. But I'm pulling for them to win the World's Series. If they were to do that, and we then win our Series, well, that's a dream come true right there."

No comments:

Post a Comment